Monday, August 26, 2013

Purple Urchin

Echinoderms R Us

For this challenge, I reverted to one of my favorite phylums- the echinoderms.
Something about the radial symmetry attracts me, or maybe it's the abundance of circular patterns :)
Above is a scientific drawing of a sea urchin test- which is the shell that remains after the spines fall off and the animal inside decays.

I showed a modicum of self restraint and just gave this one a bit of purple around the edges.


Detail of the mouth (?)  He was made from silk and Evolon, heat cut.  He was fun as always!

11 comments:

  1. How you interpret what you see just blows me away. Purple lace from a "carapace"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dimensionality and shadow. masterful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you exercised some self-restraint, Betty! :D Your purple urchin is a wonderful response to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty, you know I love your urchins! Your use of color and shadow is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the comments about your urchin Betty- he is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Modicum. Nice show of restrain, Betty :) What a beautiful offering for this challenge! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty, this work is very very beautiful!
    I love the purple color!
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, of course! Am itching to play with Evelon some more!

    ReplyDelete